EASY CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE
Try this easy cucumber salad recipe....great for starters !
CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tb red wine vinegar
- 5 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, according to taste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 scallions (green onion, spring onion), thinly chopped
CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Peel the cucumbers if desired. Cut in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds in the middle. Cut diagonally into thin slices, no more than 1/2-inch thick.
2. Lay the cucumber slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for at least 1 hour and pat dry with paper towels, squeezing out any excess water.
Note: To help drain more water from the cucumbers, I weighed them down with 2 resealable plastic bags about 3/4 full with water. You can also use a saucer to weigh down the cucumbers.
3. While desalting the cucumbers, in a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Whisk in the sugar and crushed red pepper. Simmer the dressing over very low heat for 2 – 3 minutes, (this allows the flavors to blend).
4. Remove the cucumbers and pat dry with paper towels, squeezing out any excess water.
5. Place the cucumbers in a large bowl and add the red bell pepper and chopped scallion. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss, cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving, (preferably longer). Toss the salad in the dressing again before serving. And the cucumber salad is ready to serve....great tasty salad. Nice !